DMAIC – Green Belt / Black Belt
The well-known and proven methodology that improves existing processes in a structured and fact-based manner, and delivers major cost savings. CQM has extensive experience in executing Six Sigma-type projects for a wide customer base. Moreover, we have trained 100s of Green and Black Belts in LSS/DMAIC and/or DfSS. Are you keen to benefit from standard templates, examples and developed cases that will make it easier for your engineers to apply LSS/DMAIC effectively in their own projects?
CQM is also regularly brought in because previous LSS programs have placed too much emphasis on the 'tools' and Minitab. Perhaps you’d like LSS to be applied more effectively, or want to know more about the `hows and whys’ of the different phases and steps. Or maybe you face questions such as what exactly needs to be done within the phases (objectives per phase), how they relate to previous and subsequent phases (consistency between phases), and how exactly this is achieved (applying the tools to achieve your objectives). If so, refresher training for already trained LSS/DMAIC Green Belts might be just what you’re looking for!
Because CQM training courses are always tailor-made, we can adjust the level to suit participants. This can range from employees who work on or support the improvement of products and processes (BSc educational level in a technical subject) right up to experienced engineers or trained/certified Green Belts.
A Green Belt training course could, for example, consist of 6 plenary days with the content (described here in key words) looking something like this:
- DMAIC overview, intro D-phase, Project Charter, Stakeholder Analysis, intro M-phase & Metrics.
- Metrics, Data Collection, Measurement System Analysis, Process Capability, Process Stability, Catapult exercise: intro.
- Review own project charters, Type of Problems, Process Mapping, intro A-phase, Multi-vari analysis.
- Confidence intervals, Introduction DoE, Catapult exercise: follow-up, Lean principles.
- DoE, Catapult exercise, Regression Analysis.
- Intro I-phase, FMEA, Control Methods, intro C-phase & SPC, Summary.
If the goal of the training is to make LSS/DMAIC more effective within your organization, we’ll focus more on the method than on the tools or techniques. In particular, the emphasis will be on:
- The objectives of each DMAIC phase
- Consistency between the different phases
- The methodology: how the objectives of the phases can be achieved using the tools (this concerns the methodology, not the details of the tools).
Or perhaps you’d like to have qualified Green Belts trained up to be Black Belts, so they can proactively help as Project Managers in project selection, implementation of changes, and the coaching of Green Belt projects? Here, too, CQM can provide a specific training proposal.
During this training course, we will regularly look at progress being made in delegates’ own projects. Human Dynamics aspects (dealing with resistance and conflict; leading a team), Change Management and coaching skills are all important elements of the Black Belt training.
And naturally, our expertise at CQM also covers delivering Black Belt training.
Effective application of DMAIC in your own certification projects is made much easier when the participant is coached by an experienced DMAIC Belt. Often on CQM training courses, in addition to the plenary training blocks, participants are coached in applying the learning to their own projects. The CQM coach studies the project, the steps to be followed, and the application of the tools and techniques. We can also make a supplementary quotation for you for this type of coaching based on your own cases.
By the end of the training
Depending on the chosen approach, participants on this training course can achieve different learning objectives, ranging from an acquaintance with the Six Sigma approach right up to a certified Black Belt. By the end of the training, participants can, with guidance from a coach, as a minimum carry out an improvement project following the Six Sigma approach. In addition, participants:
- appreciate the importance of DMAIC for their organization/work;
- know the DMAIC phases, substeps and deliverables;
- understand the (statistical) techniques and have gained experience in their application.
- can apply DMAIC independently in their own work setting in straightforward situations (for more complex situations, coaching is recommended);
- are adept at working with Minitab.
And in the case of a Black Belt training course, participants can:
- independently carry out a tough improvement project, implementing it in accordance with the Six Sigma approach;
- coach Green Belts in their projects;
- help management identify, select and define relevant projects, and help initiate them.
Interested in a Green Belt, Black Belt or Green-to-Black-Belt training course?
Contact Bert Schriever.